Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Bout of Books ReadaThon 9.0 Challenge Day 3



Challenge 3 is hosted by Doing Dewey:

Bout of Books is a great way to interact with new bloggers so I thought it would be a fun chance for us each to introduce other bloggers to a genre we love. For this challenge, pick a book or a few books that you think would make a great introduction to your genre of choice. Leave the answer or a link to your post where you answered in a comment to be entered in the giveaway. The winner will get to pick any of the books someone recommended for the challenge to be sent to them from Amazon or The Book Depository. The giveaway is open to people anywhere Amazon or The Book Depository deliver and will close tonight at midnight CST.

My favorite genres are horror and YA.  It's even better when you combine the two!  So I decided to try and narrow the selection down to my top 4 books that scared the crap out of me.


4. Unbreakable by Kami Garcia


I loved how scary this book was.  It's about a girl who finds out that on the day that her mother dies, it was also the day that several other kids lose their parents who were all members of a league that is sworn to protect the world from a demon that their ancestors released.  The teenagers then have to solve riddles that lead them to haunted places in order to destroy this demon.  Great start to a series!




3.  Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

I'm so in love with this book!  It's another ghost story, but it should never be read at night...alone in your house...or without a light on.  It's about a boy who is a ghost hunter trying to hunt down the spirit that killed his dad.  He's been hearing rumors about a murderous spirit called Anna Dress in Blood and moves to that town to destroy her.  However he never expected to be intrigued by the mystery surrounding this ghost.  




 
 2. Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

What horror list isn't complete without a good zombie story, and this one is my favorite.  Yes the zombies in it are scary, but the humans are terrifying!  It's set in a world were zombies have taken over and humans have learned to survive by encasing themselves in these settlements.  Once you turn fifteen you are required to look for a job.  Benny decides to follow his brother Tom who is a zombie hunter.  Benny learns that the humans outside the gates can be more dangerous than the zombies.  I love this series!


1. The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney

This is hands down one of the scariest books I have ever read.  I made the mistake of reading alone one night.  Bad idea...I couldn't sleep after that.  Tom is a seventh son of a seventh son and realizes that his chances of finding a good apprentice job are slim until the local spook comes calling.  He wants Tom to be his apprentice, but he must pass some tests first.  This story is full of ghosts, witches, demons, almost any kind of monster you could imagine.  It's considered a middle grade read, but I read it as an adult and I wanted to hide under my covers for weeks.

Those are my top recommendations to anyone wanting to read horror stories in the YA genre.  I can't wait to see everyones' lists and good luck to those who are entering!

No comments:

Post a Comment